This post is older than a year. Consider some information might not be accurate anymore.
For the situation you have created a remote (master) repository on GitHub, BitBucket or OpenHub.
git add --all
git commit -m "Initial Commit"
git remote add origin https://github.com/user/project.git
git push origin master
- Change to source directory
- Initialize git repository
- Add and commit the changes (ignore unwanted files with .gitignore)
- Add remote repository, replace user and project with your data
- Push to repository with branch master, you may have to authenticate yourself at the server or ssh-key